Moving to Mangaluru and more!

In July 2014, I never had a thought of moving out of Chennai. My admission to Loyola was denied and I didn't have any backup plans. A few minutes of thinking and I recalled my journey with Leo to Mangalore. I remembered that there was a Jesuit Institution by the name St. Aloysius College. A few phone calls later, I had decided to move to Mangalore in a matter of few minutes. I had booked my train tickets and I was on my way to Mangalore the very next day.
Being a Loyolite one would know that the admission procedure in Loyola is quite a long process involving a written examination and a personal interview, after which the result would be published online. That was where Aloysius had caught me off guard. I reached the college at 9 and I was asked to meet the Principal for admission. I was told the Principal would be available only at 9 30. While waiting to meet the Principal I saw a rather stern looking priest who was staring at every student who walked in late. It looked as though every student who walked in late had committed an unpardonable sin. A few minutes later I walked into the principal's office and there sat the same priest with the same stare, and I thought, "Does he ever smile?" After a few minutes of cross examination he seemed convinced of my answers, and he was still staring. That's when I realized, he wasn't staring, that's just the way he looks at people. A few more minutes of hardcore staring, he scribbles a few lines on a bit of paper and he asks me to pay my fees. I was a little surprised and I asked him, "What fees, Father?" and he says, "Your tuition fee, of course. Aren't you joining?". I said, "Definitely father!" I grab the paper and walk out hurriedly before he changes his mind. That was the difference between Aloysius and Loyola. Anybody can meet the Principal at anytime.
After the admission fiasco, I rushed back home, packed my bags and reached back as soon as possible. First day of college and I walked in, as always without a care. I walked up to the second floor and I found the room. I found a bunch of kids standing and I say kids because they looked way younger than me. I wondered why they weren't getting into the class. I never gave a second thought and walked up to the door and opened and walked into the new classroom.
The bell squealed away and in walked Melisa ma'am, and I thought, 'she looks intimidating' in a rather dry manner and then on seconds thoughts, I figured, appearances can be deceptive and it was. The usual round of introductions were done infused with a few games. I sat in the first row trying to figure out the best position to sleep in those uncomfortable chairs. After a few minutes of squirming around I settled in.
Melisa went on ranting about the usual rules of the department and the college and i almost fell off the chair half asleep. Prof. Lourdusamy walked in a few hours later with a glum expression on his face. He started off the class with a lecture on how his hours should begin. He goes on about the syllabus with a few his classic humorous witty jokes.
Prof. Vijaylakshmi, as always walked in with a smile like a innocent angel and spared no effort in beginning to teach the basics of Linguistics, a subject which has not been a favourite. And thus, began my adventure in Mangalore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song of Radha, The Milkmaid, by Sarojini Naidu.

Satire in Lord of the Flies

Themes and Morals of Lord of the Flies